[IDV #AAK-746578]: IDV's WMS support

Hi Murray,

> We (UNESCO trainers for marine data mgt.) would like to use IDV for a broad
> suite of analysis/display functions, involving mainly marine data.  One of
> the first questions a colleague asked me is if it is a good WMS client.
> I've seen the canned list of WMS clients in the CATALOG, so I know that when
> the exact URL for the capabilites document is known IDV does a good job.
> But I'm wondering about the case when the exact URL is not known.
>
> Please see the attached PDF file to view one of our present lessons, where
> in Panels 8 and 20-21 you can see that most WMS clients only require the
> basic URL for the mapservice (e.g. map.ngdc.noaa.gov and w4.jcommops.org) in
> order to query for capabilities.  We've successfully used these basic domain
> URL's on several WMS-capable applications.  But when I try to use them in
> IDV (forgetting for the moment that the NGDC item is also in your canned
> list), I get the error message shown in the attached image.  Right now I
> don't know if I'm entering the URL's in the wrong place, or typing them
> slightly differently from what IDV expects, or if IDV must have only the
> exact, complete URL for the capabilities document (which is not always easy
> to determine).  Most WMS's known to us are identified only by the basic
> domain URL.
>
> Can you shed some light on this problem?

We do need the URL to the capabilities document. The catalog chooser is
expecting to get some form of xml document (e.g., thredds catalog, wms
capabilities). Just giving a top-level domain (e.g., map.ngdc.noaa.gov) just
gives us html. Furthermore, we are not aware of any standards that would help
us figure out the capabilities url given just a host name.

That said, you could put together a thredds catalog (like our top level
catalog) that points to the various WMS servers.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: AAK-746578
Department: Support IDV