[IDV #XIW-870909]: U and V components to Wind Direction

Hi Simon-

> Full Name: Simon Metcalf
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.7u2\jre version: 1.6.0_13
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Dear Team,
>
> Does anyone have a working function for U & V to Wind Direction?  I've tried
> to build the function myself but have run into problems, particularly its
> inability to recognise pi and also how to build IF statements into a 1-line
> function.  The closest I got was as follows, which (if pi worked) would
> return values between -180 and 180 degrees.  Is it possible to add this
> function to the default (derived functions) in future versions so the
> multi-coloured Flow Vectors from WSpd and WDir work using U and V?
>
> atan2(-1*U,-1*V)*180/pi

Use either the dirn()(north direction) or dirr()(grid relative) function.
If you have a lat/lon grid, just use dirr(vecr(u,v)).  Otherwise,
use dirn(vecr(u,v)).  See the griddiag section of this page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/tools/JythonLib.html

Don Murray

Ticket ID: XIW-870909