[IDV #PEX-267884]: different lighting on two identical displays?

Hi Rich-

Man, you are just finding all kinds of things this week!

> I've got a bundle here
> http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/models/share/mag_anom2.xidv
> that has two displays which drape imagery over topography.
> One is for Wyoming, one is for South Dakota (the mag anomaly data for
> each state are in separate datasets).

I thought you were an oceanographer.  What are you doing in WY and SD? ;-)

> Although I think the displays are identical, the lighting in SD looks
> better (and different) than in Wyoming.
> See: http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/models/share/2009-10-30_0603.png
>
> Are their different light sources for each display?  If so, that's
> pretty odd for this purpose, where I was hoping to use IDV displays to
> essentially merge the visual display of info for multiple states.

It's a difference in the rendering due to the size of the grid.  In Wyoming,
changing from shaded to not shaded has no effect - it is always not-shaded.
The grid size (> 1M points)  is larger than the threshold (.5 M points)  we
have set.  I know I had a really good reason for having a threshold back in
2003, but I can't seem to remember what that is now.  I'm gonna remove it for
now and the fix will be in the nightly build.

> Or perhaps I just have the display settings set differently and just
> couldn't figure out how they are set differently.
>
> I'm using the Nightly Build 2.8a1. Build Date: 2009-10-28 07:08 UTC

Try using tomorrow's nightly build.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: PEX-267884