[IDV #VVT-842114]: Visualization result discrepancy between IDV 2.6 and IDV 2.7

Hi-

> Full Name: Hyo-Kyung Joe Lee
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.7u2\jre version: 1.6.0_13
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: For the TotO3_D dataset from the OPeNDAP URL,
>
> http://eoszoo.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu:8887/opendap/data/HDF4/HDF-EOS2/AQUA/AIRS/Grid/AIRS.2002.08.24.L3.RetStd_H008.v4.0.21.0.G06104133343.hdf
>
> the IDV 2.7 result looks quite different from the result of IDV 2.6. I've
> attached the output of IDV 2.6 for comparison.
>
> Can anyone explain why IDV 2.7 behaves differently for the same dataset?

In IDV 2.7, Fast Rendering is turned on by default to improve performance.
That does not account for projection seams.  In this case it shows up as bad
rendering west of the dateline.  If you use the Edit->Properties menu of the
display control, you can turn off Fast Rendering and the 2.7 display will look
like the 2.6 display.   You can set Fast Rendering off for all displays using
the Edit->Preferences menu in the Main Menu.  It's under the General tab.

For more information on Fast Rendering, see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html#fastrender

Don Murray

Ticket ID: VVT-842114
Department: Support IDV