[IDV #MPQ-882676]: Question about flow vectors from grids

Hi Tom-

Sorry for the silence on other issues.  I'll get back to you on them today.

The problem is being able to identify whether the vectors are grid relative or
true.  In the netCDF files, there was a flag indicating this.  In the grib
messages, there hasn't been one.  We are working with the netCDF group to get
access to that info so we can distinguish the two.  Right now, the distinction
is made in the aliases as to whether the u and v components map to U and V or
UREL and VREL.   I'll check with the netCDF group on the status of this and get
back to you.

Don

> When I get some model grids (in this case, the GSM 191km AK region),
> the option in the "Derived" menu (in the Field Selector) is for flow
> vectors from the grid.  If I want "grid relative" (which corrects the
> angle of the vectors for the direction it appears), then I have to use
> a formula.
>
> Since the vast majority of (model) gridded data we get has u- and
> v-comps in grid relative, I'm wondering why you might have chosen to
> not put that option in the "Derived" section?
>
> I'm asking because I'm thinking about trying to get the McV to add
> that to the "Derived" for McV....unless you tell me that my head is on
> backwards (you know, that "wrong headedness factor" again.... ;-)
>
> Thanks for any info....
>
> tom
>
> --
> Tom Whittaker
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Space Science & Engineering Center (SSEC)
> Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS)
> 1225 W. Dayton Street
> Madison, WI  53706  USA
> ph: +1 608 262 2759

Ticket ID: MPQ-882676