[IDV #MER-177075]: (No Subject)

Hi Donna-

> Attached is a bundle for what I have plotted.  It is for an isosurface of
> cloud water from the 40 km NAM model.  The problem is that the isosurface
> contains purple.  But purple is not in the color table used to make the
> isosurface.  So how do I interpret the purple color in the isosurface?

The issue stems from the way the colors are determined for each triangle that
makes up the isosurface.  Colors are computed at the vertices of grids, and
then the colors are interpolated to the places where the iso-surface intersects
the grid edges
(between pairs of vertices).  In your particular case, the color table has a
sharp change in color at about the isosurface value so you are getting colors
from the red and blue ends of the table.  Thus, the purple.

We see the same thing for radar isosurfaces.  I've sent this off for the VisAD
people at SSEC to ponder since it's a tricky (and known) issue, but one that
doesn't have a simple solution.

In the meantime, a workaround would be to use a color table with out sharp
color transitions and has fewer colors.

Don

Ticket ID: MER-177075
Department: Support IDV