[IDV #PYD-150845]: Display rendering order

> Hi all,
>
> We have been thinking about the way displays (what we call "layers" in
> McIDAS-V) are rendered in Java3D.  When multiple displays are drawn at
> the same vertical level there can be some graphical artifacting, and
> moving the display "up" via the Position (Bottom -> Top) slider isn't
> always a good idea--for example when using a perspective projection or
> when precise navigation is required.  Would it be possible to have the
> rendering order controlled by the order they appear in the Legend?
> Displays could be drag/dropped to change the rendering order, similar
> to the way image editors work.
>
> Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with this.

You can do a "To Front" on the display from its view menu. This essentially
moves the display to the front (or back?) of the list of displays, removes its
displayables and re-adds them thus changing the rendering order. Is this not
working for you guys?

As to the DND for changing positions - we have thought about doing that but
just haven't because the explicit to front seems to works fine. Go ahead and
have at it if you'd like.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: PYD-150845
Department: Support IDV