[IDV #NYF-936499]: Formulas and Grib Files

Hi Greg,

> Regrettably, the surface wet bulb temperature is not a grib parameter
> in most of the model grib files. However, I was curious as to whether
> or not it was possible to create a new variable based on a formula, and
> then either write a new grib file, or add the new variable to the old
> grib and then write that revised file. Let me know if you get a minute.
> Thanks!

Yes it is possible to write a formula (not sure what the calculation would be
to create a surface wet bulb temp though). See the user guide and workshop
pages:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/tools/Formulas.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/formulas/index.html

You cannot write a new grib file or add to an existing one. However, you can
write the results of the formula out as a netcdf grid file.
From any display of gridded data you can write out the data. see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/savingstate/SavingData.html
You can also right click on the formula and choose "Evaluate and Save"

> I work for a television station in Raleigh, NC, and we continue
> to push the envelope as to what kind of datasets we can display on the
> air. This request is simply part of that effort. Thanks again.

Cool.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: NYF-936499