[IDV #RMR-226806]: ncml on TDS server

> Hey IDV folks
>

> I am having trouble opening a NCML file on a thredds server.
>
> http://staging.asascience.com:8989/thredds/test.xml
>

> There are two data sets:
>
> CTD_NC
>
> CTD_ncml
>

> IDV can:
>
> Open the same ncml locally...
>
> Open the NC file with the same description
>

> But when I put the ncml through the TDS I get the following?

Hi David,
       The problem is that neither the nc nor ncml file properly define this
file as a trajectory dataset, so when the IDV opened this file through the TDS
server, it would try to do it as a typed dataset. Unless you add an adapter to
the trajectory type dataset to this specific file, you will not be able to use
a TDS server to serve this file. When you opened both nc and ncml file as local
file, the IDV just tried it as a netcdf file and will not have any problem.

Yuan

> [...]
> 24)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.doMakeAdapter(TrackDataSource
> .java:533)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.initTrack(TrackDataSource.jav
> a:489)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.getAdapters(TrackDataSource.j
> ava:547)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.initAfter(TrackDataSource.jav
> a:268)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.initAfterCreation(DataSourceImpl.java:7
> 27)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.FilesDataSource.initAfterCreation(FilesDataSource.java
> :270)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource.initAfterCreation(TrackDataSo
> urce.java:283)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1490)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataVie
> wer.java:1967)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewe
> r.java:1884)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewe
> r.java:1818)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewe
> r.java:1791)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:907)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.processNodes(ThreddsHandler.java
> :745)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.doLoad(ThreddsHandler.java:604)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doLoadInThread(XmlChooser.java:672)
>
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

> This URL does indeed return a error 400 - there should be something on
> the end to get the opendap data I think?
>
> http://staging.asascience.com:8989/thredds/dodsC/idvtest/ctd.ncml
>

> For instance...
>
> http://staging.asascience.com:8989/thredds/dodsC/idvtest/ctd.ncml?altitu
> de[0:1:16165]
>

> Hope this helps and feel free to try the server yourself!

Ticket ID: RMR-226806