[IDV #QHB-724761]: Question about "Making data source local" option.

Hi Jay-

Thanks to Tom Whittaker's help, I think I have a solution that sets the first
word to 0 for ADDE images.  It will be in tomorrow's build.  Let me know if
that solves your problem.

Thanks to Dave for addressing the IMGLIST issue.

Don

> > A user in CIMSS and I have been trying out the "Making data source
> > local" option to create area files.  I've been using the latest IDV
> > nightly (from August 3rd), and the area files I'm producing are not
> > usable in the -V Local ADDE Manager or in -X.
> >
> > I've talked with TomW and DaveS and they've indicated the problem to
> > me... that a zero needs to be written into the first word of the area
> > file.  TomW mentioned that you had released a change on 1 July which
> > does this, and it was included in the last visad.jar file.  So, I'm
> > wondering if this change was lost, not implemented at the moment, or
> > broken, etc.  Here is the latest from TomW:
>
> As you point out, the problem is that the first word is not 0.  There is
> conflicting documentation on this.  If it's truly a bad image, why can one do
> an IMGLIST on it?
>
> That being the case, I have not yet implemented the change I made in
> visad.jar in the IDV.  That requires some overhead which I'm not sure I want
> to incur in the IDV. Currently, we just write the ADDE stream directly to
> disk and the first word is not 0 in an ADDE Image object.  Using the VisAD
> fix, I'd have to create an AreaFile out of each stream and then use the new
> method to write to disk.  My attempts to just set word 0 after writing out
> the ADDE stream fail on Windows because it locks the file and doesn't allow a
> subsequent write.  It probably works on Linux, but I haven't had a chance to
> test it there.
>
> Dave Santek's workaround is to do an LWU POKE 0 0 on each file.  However, the
> file names have to be short or you have to create links to each file with a
> short name since LWU doesn't handle long names/paths.  But, that will work.

Ticket ID: QHB-724761