[IDV #GRI-110822]: unable to read WRF output in IDV 2.7

Hi Dave-

> Full Name: David Fitzgerald
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.7
> Operating System: CentOS Linux
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I am trying to read the netcdf output file created by
> the WRF model.  This is just the raw output,and is not post-processed in any
> way.  In IDV 2.7, when I try to open the file as a Grid
> File(netCDF/GRIB/OPenDAP/GEMPAK) I get an error message stating that no
> gridded data was found.  However in IDV 2.6 the file opens just fine.
>
> Is this a known problem

Yes.  A bug snuck in at the last moment.  I put a bugfix out as a plugin.  Go
to the Tools->Plugin Manager dialog and under Bug Fixes, install the WRF ARW
fix for IDV 2.7.
It will look for files named wrfout_d01_.*.  If you have a different file name,
you can select the WRF ARW netCDF files as a Data Source Type.

I'm going to send a message out to idvusers today.  I was waiting for
confirmation that the fix worked.  Could you test that for me?

Note that in general we do not recommend using the native WRF output for
anything other than quick looks.  It's best to run a post processor on the grid
to destagger the grid and compute the standard meteorological variables.  See
the FAQ entry at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#wrf

Don Murray

Ticket ID: GRI-110822