[Support #LZX-581713]: color shaded image over topography

Hey Cory-

> Thanks Don....now I'm trying to place 10m HAGL wind barbs over topography. I
> have to select a formula to calculate wind speed and direction and running to
> trouble with surface winds. I can either plot 10m HAGL winds however, it is a
> 2d plot where I can only raise and lower the image. The other is the True
> wind vector formula, however, that only allows selection of constant pressure
> surfaces (from the Gempak file)...not 10m HAGL. Is this feasible?

It's a little complicated, but will be easier in the next release.  For now:

- select the Misc->Any Field formula and the 3D Surface->Wind Barbs Over
Topography and hit the Create Display button.
- when the topography dialog pops up, select geopotential height @ surface
- When the dialog pops up for "field", select the Grids->Make flow vectors from
grid relative u and v data formula.
- Next, select the 2D grid->u-component of wind @ HAGL and 2D grid->v-component
of wind @ HAGL
for u and v.

That will give you a plot.  A couple of caveats:

- it will not plot the vectors at 10 meters above the topography but right at
the topography surface.  The 10 meters gets lost in the combination.
- The barbs are plotted horizontally at the location of the grid point.  If you
underlay a topography, the barbs  will cut through the surface.  They don't end
up draped over it.  Streamlines will end up on the surface.

> Next you guys should try to develop an app with IDV that allows users to kill
> mosquitoes....man they are ferocious up here

Maybe we could put a 3D hand in the IDV. ;-)

Don

Ticket ID: LZX-581713