[IDV #WIL-310768]: IDV consuming all my cycles when its not doing anything.

> My memory is that the stack trace was generate by going to a
> particular local host URL.
> Presumably that is the one that appears in the stack trace.

No. This is was our text display control reading a URL:
java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:687)
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:632)
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1049)
java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:373)
javax.swing.JEditorPane.getStream(JEditorPane.java:777)
javax.swing.JEditorPane.setPage(JEditorPane.java:418)
ucar.unidata.idv.control.TextDisplayControl.processUrl(TextDisplayControl.java:1186)

Maybe you have a default bundle that is being loaded? Go to File->Default
Bundle->Remove

> How would I go about "deleting" the main map view window? I tried
> closing the window and the entire application exited. I also tried
> the red square button with a white X on it with identical results.

The red square button does just exit the application. Try installing the latest
nightly build again:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/nightly/index.jsp
and then copy the jar:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/support/idv.jar
into the install dir (there should be an idv.jar already there).
You should be able to delete the window containing the map without exiting the
application.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: WIL-310768
Department: Support IDV