[IDV #LPU-320092]: kmz graphical problems

Hi Simon,

> I've uploaded files named test.kmz and test.jpg.  The jpg image
> illustrates the kind of graphical problems I'm getting in Google Earth.
> The problems are that at least 3 or 4 frames seem to linger in the
> display causing confusion as to wind vector direction and concentration

The problem of showing multiple frames is that google earth's animation is not
frame based (like the IDV's) but rather is a moving window of time. Any image
within the window is shown. You can adjust the window size with the animation
slider in the 3D view.

> plots.  The quality of the plots also seems quite course.  I wonder if
> there's a way of increasing the resolution/quality of the bitmap images
> (or alternatively using vector data in kmz).  I've used HYSPLIT
> dispersion model in the past and I believe that its kmz exporter uses
> vector data.  An example of a HYSPLIT vector KMZ is also attached.

When we capture an image what you see is what you get. If you want to capture a
very large image you can save the state (File->Save) as an .isl file, e.g.,
test.isl.
The IDV will prompt you for some of the parameters to the ISL script including
image size. Choose offscreen rendering and specify a larger image size. See
here for more on ISL:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/isl/index.html

As to the vector output for KMZ - as I  have said this is something we have
thought about doing but is not on our (rather full) plates at the moment.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: LPU-320092
Department: Support IDV