[IDV #LZC-719196]: Unable to display tiff image

Hi Simon,

> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.6u2\jre version: 1.6.0_11
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: I've been unable to get IDV to display a geoTIFF
> image.  It opens in to the dashboard but when attempting to display the image
> it gives me a java heap space issue which appears to be a memory related
> issue despite the image being only 30.6 Mb in size.  Is this a known issue or
> is there anything I can do?  Out of curiosity I'm wondering what the memory
> sizes on the bottom of 533Mb refer to as I have 3 Gb installed on my machine.

First of all we really don't have good support for geotiffs. We can read them
in and show them in the OmniControl which is sort of a low level catch all
display. We do not read the geolocation information in the geotiff so cannot
display the images in the main map display.

As to the memory issue - The 30MB image could end up requiring substantial
memory both for the internal data structures we create in the IDV and when the
image is displayed there is a problem where we need to expand its size to the
next power of 2 (I know, don't ask :-)).

The numbers at the bottom show the current memory usage, the high water mark
and the maximum size available to Java.  You can change this amount:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html#heap
But, (at least on windows) about the most you can do as 1.2 Gigabytes.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: LZC-719196
Department: Support IDV