[IDV #DGO-203144]: Point data questions

Hi Hans-

I thought I had replied last week, but just found my reply session sitting in
one of my browser windows.

> > Just tried today's (Apr 28) build. The data looks much better now!
> > However, I do get some errors trying to read, and plot, the data.
>
> Sorry about this.  Fix one thing, break another. ;-)

Hopefully we've made more fixes this time.  Please try the latest nightly
build.

> > Firstly, in the previous version I defined names and units for the fields
> > in the csv file and saved it under its own name as a preference. In the
> > previous version (I think), when selecting the saved preference the field
> > names popped up in the point data form. That does not happen with the new
> > version.
>
> If you resize the window slightly, you should see the fields displayed. We're
> working on a fix for this.  At this time, you'll need to scroll down to the
> first observation before applying the old preference.

Please try this with the latest build and see if the problem still
exists.

> > Secondly, the first time I try to read the file (i.e. clicking OK after
> > having applied the saved preference def that does not show), I get an error
> > message. Trying a second time, however, the data is usually read without
> > error messages. Could perhaps have something to do with some data missing
> > in the file which results in an uninitialized field in IDV the first time
> > the file is read (just my wild guess)?
>
> There was a change made to the underlying VisAD units package that is causing
> this.  We are trying to track down the problem and hope to have a fix soon.

We put in some fixes for the units, but I'm not sure the issue below
is completely resolved.  I haven't been able to reproduce it today with
the latest build.  However, I was in that same situation yesterday and
then it popped up again.

> [...]
> > " java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: An error occurred reading column
> > number:6
> > at visad.data.text.TextAdapter.readit(TextAdapter.java:990)
> > at visad.data.text.TextAdapter.<init>(TextAdapter.java:210)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.point.TextPointDataSource.makeObs(TextPointDataSource.java:386)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.point.TextPointDataSource.makeObs(TextPointDataSource.java:316)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.point.TextPointDataSource.getSample(TextPointDataSource.java:1578)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.point.PointDataSource.doMakeDataChoices(PointDataSource.java:900)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.point.TextPointDataSource.doMakeDataChoices(TextPointDataSource.java:1586)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getDataChoices(DataSourceImpl.java:1729)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1484)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1954)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1871)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1805)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1778)
> > at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:839)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFilesInner(FileChooser.java:646)
> > at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFiles(FileChooser.java:515)
> > at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.doLoadInThread(FileChooser.java:537)
> > at
> > sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
> > at
> > sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
> > at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1032)
> > at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1060)
> > "
> >
> > Thirdly:
> > Plotting the data usually generates an error with no plot being shown.
> > Trying with a much smaller subset of the file works though. The original
> > file contains about 3800 lines of METAR data, each consisting of about 44
> > data fields. The file size of that file is about 700 kB. Is there a size
> > restriction in IDV that might be the cause of this error perhaps?
>
> There shouldn't be.  I wonder if there is bad data causing a problem.  Could
> you send me two things:
>
> - the file you are trying to use
> - your preference for reading the file.  You can export this by reading in
> the data and under the Preferences button, select Export Header.
>
> Also, which field are you trying to contour?

The issue here is that the objective analysis was breaking when there was only
one station.  There are two fixes to this:

- I put in a check to have at least 3 stations before trying to do the analysis
- Since the times in the observations are not grouped, you will get lots of
times,
each with as few as one or more, it would be better to group the observations
into manageable chunks of time.  Bring up the data source properties and set
the
bin size and the round to times.  I tried a bin size of 1 hour and a round to
of
on the hour.

The latter avoids trying to do an objective analysis on too few stations, but
my fix will prevent that as well.

The latest nightly build should also have the fix for your grib problem.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: DGO-203144
Department: Support IDV