[IDV #YQP-594813]: Wrfout_d01

Hi Brian-

> I decided, on a whim, to look at the raw WRF model output I generate using
> IDV.  This output is, well, kind of messy: it is on sigma coordinates (not
> pressure nor height), and the variables are mostly non-standard
> (perturbation potential temperature).
>
> The good folks at WRF have code that converts into pressure or height
> coordinates, and produces more standard variables (like temperature).
>
> Has someone developed the IDV code to do similar conversions?  I am thinking
> someone must have at this point...

The raw netCDF files are staggered and on non-pressure coordinates.  This
creates a huge overhead for the IDV to do the conversion on the fly.

We suggest using the WRFPost code to do the conversion to pressure or
height coordinates instead of using the raw netCDF files.  That code
has been well tested and verified.

I know Gary Lackmann converts his WRF output to GEMPAK and reads that
into the IDV.  That is another option if you want to use the grids in
IDV and GEMPAK.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: YQP-594813
Department: Support IDV