[IDV #ELV-470278]: SIMPLE TIME DIFFERENCE

Hi Riccardo,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This just slipped through the
cracks of our support box.

> Description of problem: I STARTED USING IDL TODAY. WHAT I'D LIKE TO DO IS
> VERY SIMPLE: I HAVE A GRIB FILE WITH CUMULATED PRECIPITATIONS FROM ECMWF
> OPERATIONAL MODEL, AND I WANT TO MAKE A "SIMPLE TIME DIFFERENCE" IN ORDER TO
> SEE THE CUMULATED VALUE IN 12 HOURS: T24-T12, T36-T24 AND SO ON. IT APPEARS A
> SMALL WINDOWS REQUESTING "TIME1" AND "TIME2", BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHICH
> VALUES I HAVE TO PUT INSIDE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE. RICCARDO

The latest version of the IDV has a formula Formulas->Grids->Time Steps->Time
step difference
that takes a grid field and does a difference so that:
Data(T) = Data(T)-Data(T-1)

Note - the -1 offset is the index of the time, e.g., -3 is not -3 hours but is
the time 3 time stpes prior. This is not the absolute time.

One can also specify an arbitrary (index) offset using another formula.
Attached is a plugin (install it through the Tools->Plugin Manager  dialog
under its File menu).

This has a formula that prompts the user or an offset. It also has a fix to a
problem
in our released jython library (it call a routine fixedtimeStepDifference not
the
normal (and broken) timeStepDifference).

-Jeff

Ticket ID: ELV-470278
Department: Support IDV