[IDV #PGQ-180287]: computing means of a variable

,

> I have a netcdf file with a single parameter but 1000's of timesteps.
> What is the easiest way to compute the mean of the variable over all
> timesteps. Can you provide an example.

There is a jython procedure: averageOverTime that averages the fields.
I have created a formula (attached as a plugin, load it through the File menu
in the  Plugin Manager (Tools->Plugin Manager menu)) that does this.

Just select the "Average time steps" formula under "Grids" once you load the
plugin (and restart
the IDV).

When you load in the data source you should also turn on cache to disk.
Bring up the Properties dialog for the data source and turn on "Always cache to
disk"
This way only one time step at a time is read in so you don't blow memory.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: PGQ-180287
Department: Support IDV