[IDV #OVT-853758]: TDWR Level III Data Question

Hi Jacob=

> Full Name: Jacob Gore
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /home/idv/IDV_2.6u1/jre version: 1.6.0_11 j3d:1.5.2 fcs
> (build4)
> Description of problem: I have a two quick questions regarding the Terminal
> Doppler Weather Radar (TDWR) that
> you have made available in the latest build of the IDV (IDV 2.6u1).  First, I
> see that there
> are only a few select sites available in the Data Chooser.  Will there be more
> sites added in the future?

As the NWS adds new stations, they will show up in the chooser. The
current stations are the only ones that are being sent over the
NOAAPort data feed.

I also see that it says the TDWR data is in Level III
> format.  Does that mean the data follows the same resolution as the
> conventional
> Level III data from the NEXRAD Level III sites?  When I observed one
> particular TDWR
> site last night I saw where the resolution resembled Level II data in NEXRAD.

No, Level III refers to the processing level - these
are products not the data volume that comes off the radar.
Some products are higher resolution (but closer range) than the NEXRAD
Level III data.

There is more information at:

ftp://ftp.roc.noaa.gov/PUB/TDWR_SPG_INFO/

> Thanks for your time.

No problem.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: OVT-853758