[IDV #KWL-481581]: SST over SSH

Hi Alan-

> Full Name: Alan Bol
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.5\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: Creating display: Color-Filled Contour Plan View Over
> Topography
> org.python.core.PyException
>
> Hi guys, I'm trying to plot SST over SSH topography.
> Here's what I've been doing:
> 1. Fields/3D grid/temperature
> Displays/3D Surface/Color-filled contour plan view over topo
> (1st time/top level/default region/default stride)
>
> This brings up a formulas window looking for topography, so I choose
> Any Field and navigate to the 2D grid for SSH.
> Same time/area/stride as SST.
>
> Then I get an error.
> I'm sure this is pretty basic, but just not obvious what I'm doing wrong.

Not really basic, but can be done.  The problem is that
the slice at the level is still a 3D grid and the topography
is a 2D grid (hence the "domain dimensions must match" error).

You can get around this by using the formula Grids->Make slice 2D
as a wrapper around SST.

Select the formula
Select Contours over Topography
When the topography selector comes up do your Any Field dance
When the slice selector comes up, choose the SST and the level.

I actually had code that should do this automagically, but see it
only works when the topography doesn't have a time dimension.  I'll
fix that for the next release.

Don

> ******************
> Stack trace:
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> at visad.FieldImpl.combine(FieldImpl.java:1064)
>
> at visad.FieldImpl.combine(FieldImpl.java:998)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.combineGrids(DerivedGridFactory.java:856)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.combineGrids(DerivedGridFactory.java:809)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.combineGrids(DerivedGridFactory.java:790)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.create2DTopography(DerivedGridFactory.java:622)

> at
>
> at

> visad.VisADException: visad.VisADException: FieldImpl.combine: domain
> dimensions of inputfields must match

Ticket ID: KWL-481581
Department: Support IDV