[IDV #HNE-856233]: Importing and geolocating pictures

> Don & Jeff,
>
> TomW gave me a great way to attach navigation information to a jpeg file
> through an XML file, for example:
> <image  url="toast_20081119_crop.png"   name="TOAST"  ullat="90"
> ullon="0" lrlat="-90" lrlon="360" />
>
> This works great for lat/lon projected images. What if I have an image
> in polar stereographic or lambert conformal? If this functionality isn't
> available, about how much effort do you think it would take? Could
> someone at SSEC do it?
>
> I'm writing a proposal to use McV with GEONETCast products
> http://www.geonetcastamericas.noaa.gov/
>
> and NOAA may have some $$s to enhance McV to visualize the products
> they're sending out.

Hi Dave,
Something like that could be done. Basically in
ucar.unidata.data.imagery.ImageXmlDataSource
we read the image, create a flat field from it and set the spatial domain with
a linear2dset.

We could come up with a way to define a new projection in the xml and use that.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: HNE-856233
Department: Support IDV