[IDV #TDW-710891]: Re: Time serial plots

Hi Ling,

The current (2.2.22) version of netCDF-Java doesn't really understand simple
time series data. In the short term, we should be able to figure out a way to
read these in as point or trajectory data so that the IDV can read and display
the data.

In the longer term, I would suggest looking at the convention that Jeff
mentions below. It has been submitted to the CF conventions group
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/) with the current proposed text at

http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/wiki/PointObservationConventions

It is currently a proposed addition to the CF convention but we expect it will
be accepted without large changes.

The upcoming (4.0) release of the netCDF-Java library will be able to read time
series data that follows the resulting convention. The IDV uses the netCDF-Java
library so it will be able to read them as well.

If you want to figure out how to get it into the current IDV, Jeff and I can
dig into this more.

Hope that helps,

Ethan

> Unidata IDV Support wrote:
> > Hi Ling,
> > At first glance this file does not seem to have lat/lon or a conventions
> > attribute.
> > I am moving this ticket to the Java-netcdf group here at Unidata and they
> > will be able
> > to shed some light on this.
> >
> > You can also look at some documentation on netcdf observation conventions:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/UnidataObsConvention.html
> >
> > -Jeff
> >

> Thanks for the inputs. Missing required attributs is my first guess. How
> about time serial display? Can IDV do it, particularly,  we need to
> open  multiple  netcdf files  that have the same time  range but
> different variables, and would like to plot all variable in one plot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ling

Ticket ID: TDW-710891
Department: Support netCDF Java