[IDV #SVI-832960]: Searching User's Guide

Hi Dave-

> Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Yeah, I guess there are some other questions in my personal box that
I need to get back to you on. ;-)

> >> Full Name: Dave Santek
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 2.5 build date:2008-05-08 07:05 UTC
> >> Operating System: Windows XP
> >> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06 version: 1.6.0_06
> >> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> >> Description of problem: Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to do a search in the User's Guide and I can't find a way to do:
> >> a) exact string:    -debug
> >> b) phrase:   data source
> >> c) partial word:    collabor
> >>

> > I had  success with a and b, but not c.  The JavaHelp search uses
> > a plain language search engine which does not allow wild cards, etc.
> > It says it does use a morphing which allows something like build
> > to match on built, builder, and building.  However, it doesn't
> > seem to link collaborate with collaboration.
> >
> Here is what I see:
> a) when I put in -debug I get matches on *-debug* [correct] and *debug*
> [which I don't want].
> b) when I put in *data source*, it does work correctly! But, when I put
> in *figure out*, the first match shows a bunch of *out* matches.

That's the way it works. If you have multiple words, it will match
on the separate words.   What you'll see in the search panel is
the relevance of the matches.  A full circle means that it found
the two words contiguous, lesser circles indicate a partial match.
Section 4.12 of the JavaHelp User's Guide:

http://download.java.net/javadesktop/javahelp/jhug.pdf

has a good explanation of how the seach works (or doesn't. ;-)).

Thanks for sending the other question to the appropriate people.

Don

Ticket ID: SVI-832960
Department: Support IDV