[IDV #MGA-713177]: data menu and ATCF Storm data

HI Bill,

> Below are some of my notes on ATCF data. I hope they help.
>
> The Data menu feels unnatural to me now. The difference between the
> first 2 choices: choosing data and loading data, is not very large. In
> both cases,
> the user chooses _and_ loads data (or further refines the data choice). And
> If Fronts and Profiler Winds can appear under Choose Data, then couldn't
> Text Products and ATCF Storm Tracks too?

> I would suggest adding either NWS or Weather in front of Text Bulletins
> from Server, to make it clear what is referred to.
>
> The gramatical structure of Text Bulletins from Server and Local Text
> Products
> should be similar. E.g., Weather Text Bulletins (remote server) and
> Gempak Text Bulletins (local file
> system).

Under the Data menu we now have a "Special" menu that lists the data sources
that can be created without
choosing a file or url.

> Once ATCF Storm Tracks is choosen:
> o  In the display pane, Latest Storm Track is confusing because the user
> does not
> know what latest means. In this case, it appears to be latest year.
> When I
> tried it, I did not know what to expect and it took a while, so I
> was confused.
> o  I found Storm Track to be the best choice no matter what I was
> looking for.
> It was easier to start here and then choose what I wanted.
> o  I'm not sure why there are 2 choices; perhaps one should be select by
> storm
> and the other select by time period?
> Moving on - Create Display, 2008, AL, Ike, Load Tracks:
> o  The default is to load forecasts from many sources. This takes a long
> time.

I've removed the "Latest Tracks" display type for now.

> o  In the Tracks tab, the default should be many fewer forecasts, for speed.
> I am not sure why the forecast show at all since the Forecasts:
> check box
> is unchecked by default?

We'll popup a dialog that allows you to select the models to use.

> o  In the Storm Chart tab, under techs, the forecasts are unchecked,
> which confused me?
> Tracks tab - checked; Storm Chart tab - unchecked.

> o   I thought you showed us the tech data somewhere else, dataset
> properties?

In the properties for the display is a "Techs to use".

-Jeff

Ticket ID: MGA-713177
Department: Support IDV