[IDV #TBU-482288]: Macro/script for repetitive process

HI Bill,

> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.5\jre version: 1.6.0_01
> j3d:1.5.1 fcs (build6)
> Description of problem: I am displaying WRF output from GRIB files. The only
> parameter I'm displaying is 10 m wind barbs. The steps to display each GRIB
> file are manually intensive to include opening each data file, choosing the
> formula to plot u & v wind components in wind barb format and then changing
> the display to a common scale, skip XY, color, line width and display list
> color. Can I automated this process to some extent using macros or scripting?

You can do a number of things. Save whatever your want to view as a bundle,
e.g., wrf.xidv

When you do a File->Open to view that bundle the file dialog has a "Change Data
Paths" check box. Turn that on and choose the new data source to use.

Or:
From the command line do:
idv wrf.xidv -setfiles ".*" /path/to/new/model

What this does is tell the IDV to load in the bundle but for the data source
whose name matches the regular expression pattern (i.e., .*) substitude the
/path/to/new/model file.

You can also script this for image generation. See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/isl/DataAndDisplays.html
The bundle tag also has the above setfiles ability:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/isl/DataAndDisplays.html#setfiles

-Jeff

Ticket ID: TBU-482288
Department: Support IDV