[IDV #RVE-175991]: IDV 2.6a3: Phantom display label

Hi Dave-

> Using IDV v2.6a3 (a nightly build from sometime in the last couple of
> months) on an Intel iMac running Leopard, I constructed a plot that
> included, among other things, a vertical cross-section of wind speeds
> from GFS model data.
>
> The wind speed cross section had a customized display label. However,
> when I trashed the cross section, the display label remained, a
> phantom seemingly impossible to banish. The display labels of other
> plots, whether those plots were already existing (and simply turned
> on) or added later (such as a redo of the vertical wind speed cross
> section), overwrite the phantom label, making both of them generally
> unreadable.
>
> I've attached a bundle to illustrate the problem after it developed.
> The phantom display label is in green. A subsequently replot of
> vertical cross section of wind speed uses a cyan label that is worded
> identically, so turning that field on overwrites the phantom label
> exactly and both can be read. However, turning on the topmost
> Temperature contour plot (which is turned off initially in the bundle)
> illustrates the problem that the phantom label causes when a different
> display label overwrites it.

I've run into this also, but have not been able to reliably reproduce
the problem.  My solution has been to open a new View window and close
the old one with the dangling display list or to restart the IDV.

We added some code in last night's build to guard against some
potential issues that might be causing this.  Since we can't
reliably reproduce the issue, we can't test it.  Your bundle does
not show the spurious display list because it is created in a
fresh display.

Give the nightly build a try and let us know if you see this happen
again.  Hopefully our changes will fix this issue.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: RVE-175991
Department: Support IDV