[IDV #IWN-509507]: IDV: Saving views

> Don and/or Jeff,
>
> I have a new colleague (a physical oceanographer) who is rapidly
> getting up to speed with the IDV, pretty much on his own. He's making
> color-filled contour plots of model SST analyses and would like to
> capture the image with the color bar included, which he does by
> selecting "View > Capture > Image > View and Legend" (under "Capture
> What").
>
> However, this captures not only the display view and the legend, but
> also the toolbar along the left-hand side of the display and the
> "View" and "Projections" menu headers and animation control buttons
> immediately above the display view. These are visually distracting
> (and of course, not functional) and he'd prefer that they not be
> included in the "View and Legend" capture. (I can imagine that getting
> rid of the left-side toolbar might be doable, but the stuff across the
> top aligns with the "Legend" header, which presumably makes them
> harder to get rid of.)
>
> Examples are attached.
>
> Can anything be done about this?

Hi Dave,
Due to the window layout we really cannot capture just the view and the legend
without capturing
the toolbar and the menus.

> (What he'd really like is to be able to put the color bars for color-
> filled and color-shaded plots within the view itself, along with the
> labels. I sort of recall being able to do this at some point, say by
> putting the color bar vertically along one side of the view window. Or
> am I thinking about a different software package?)

You can turn on the color scales for the display from the display's properties
dialog:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/controls/index.html#properties

> (I just noticed another oddity. When I select View > Full Screen, and
> then Capture > Image > View and Legend, only the view is captured.
> Seems as if the "View and Legend", and presumably "Full window",
> options shouldn't be available when trying to Capture > Image while in
> Full window mode.)

I guess so.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: IWN-509507