[IDV #QHV-523927]: Plotting observerd wind barbs in m/s

Hi Bill-

> Full Name: Bill Bauman
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.5\jre version: 1.6.0_01
> j3d:1.5.1 fcs (build6)
> Description of problem: I'm plotting wind tower mesonet observations.
>
> I've converted the observations from kt to m/s (to include mean wind speed
> and peak wind speed) in the data file..
>
> When I plot the observations, the wind barbs are plotted in kt instead of m/s.
>
> I don't see an option in the plot model to force the barbs to plot in m/s -
> is there a way to do so?
>
> In the attached file showing the plotted observations, the top number is peak
> speed in m/s, the middle number is mean speed in m/s and the bottom number is
> the tower identifier.

By definition, there is no distinction in a barb representation of
winds based on units.  A long flag is 10 kt and a short flag is 5 kt.

So, a 8 m/s wind will look the same as a 15 kt wind:

\
 \_\____

since 8 m/s is ~16 kt.

(how's that for ASCII art? ;-))

I'm assuming you are plotting the mean speed so to me they look correct.

I used to have a good web reference on this, but can't find it right now.
The closest I could come up with is:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/other/faq_winds.html

Don

Ticket ID: QHV-523927