[Support #EIV-686292]: Question about IDV

> I have a question about the IDV program. I have been told that this
> program can be quite slow when dealing with some of the higher
> resolution data sets. Is this an issue which a faster processor, more
> RAM, and/or a high end video card can help with? Any information you can
> provide would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Greg,
The speed of rendering in the IDV is dependent on the amount of data that is
being rendered
and the type of display. For example, doing an isosurface display (which
requires the full volume
of data) of all of the time steps (25) of the 1/2 degree GFS (170 million
points per timestep) would
be take a very long time and require a large amount of memory. On the other
hand the 80 km CONUS GFS
has 11 time steps and the volume is ~1.9 million points.  A 2D field has 66K
points.

So, there really is no one answer for you. However, even working with the large
grids the IDV
supports subsetting in time and space and doing decimation (e.g., every 5th
point) so dealing
with these large data sets is tractable.

I'd suggest downloading it and trying it out.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: EIV-686292
Department: Support IDV