[IDV #OOT-610266]: installation problems

Hi Stacy-

> Full Name: Stacy Brodzik
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.5
> Operating System: Debian Linux
> Hardware: 64 bit PC
> Description of problem: I was having a hard time running idv v2.1 on my new
> 64-bit linux machine, so I downloaded and installed
> 'idv_2_5_linux-i386_installer.sh'.  Even though they're different, my
> problems continue.  I don't know if this is a 32 vs 64 bit thing or if I made
> some installation error, but it's just not working.  Several months ago, I
> was able to run v2.1 on my old 32bit machine without any problems.   Now, I'm
> back to square one.
>
> Here's what I can tell you:
>
> Couldn't find 'idv.jar' until I created a link in bin directory where other
> links (IDV, runIDV, etc) were created.

These links don't work, but I have not way of not having them
in the installer steps.

> If I try to run 'runIDV' or 'simpleIDV', I get a message saying that I need
> Java3D 1.2 or higher.

The best way to start the IDV is using the runIDV script in the
installation directory.  That should point to the right java
and java 3d.

> If I try to run 'IDV' I get an Error window:
>
> createNewWindow-1
> /home/disk/blitz/src/idv_v2.5/jre/lib/i386/libJ3D.so
> Can't load IA 32-bit.so on a IA 32-bit platform

Here I'm guessing that some of the 32 bit libraries are not
installed on your 64bit system.   The Java with the 2.5
installer is 32 bit.  Another option is to download the
64bit version of the nightly build instead of the 2.5 release.
It's pretty stable at this point.

> If I click "OK", another Error window:
>
> Initializing the IDV
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
>
> If I click "OK", I'm left with the 'Dashboard' with the heading 'Welcome to
> the Unidata Workshop IDV' but can't seem to view any data.
>
> - If I click on 'Quicklinks/Favorite Bundles' and then 'Workshop/Sample Data
> Displays', I get another Error window:

I'm guessing that you either have a sitepath that is pointing to an
old workshop installation.  I've fixed the bundles, but I would suggest
that you go to the user preferences (Edit->Preferences menu) and
delete the sitepath.  We've moved to using a plugin facility which
the new workshop docs point to.

> Error loading bundle:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/data/SampleDataDisplay.xidv
> Unable to open grid:
> dods://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/dods/DODS-3.2.1/nph-dods/dods/casestudies/idvtest/grids/small_ruc_grid.nc
>
> and so forth.

Try the 64bit version of the nightly build and see if that
works for you.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: OOT-610266
Department: Support IDV