[IDV #MBH-975257]: Problem loadin NetCDF files

Hi Baylee-

> Full Name: Baylee Balschmiter
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I have some NetCDF files, I am able to use from the
> ESRL GSD that contain ACARS data, but I am not able to load them into IDV.
> They appear as an option under the Data Choosers tab, but each time I try to
> open them an error message pops up saying files do not contain gridded data.
>
> I did some research on the NetCDF conventions and was wondering if I need to
> add a convention to my files.  Unfortunately the files are too large to send
> a sample in the attachments to determine which type of convention.  But as
> they contain aviation ACARS data I was hoping a recommendation could be made.
>  Or do I need to use another software package to view the data?

The IDV doesn't currently support the ingest and display of ACARS
data.  It's on our list of things to do, but not in the immediate
future.  The best Unidata package for displaying the ACARS data
is GEMPAK, so I would suggest trying that package.  You will
have to use the dcacars program to decode the netCDF into
GEMPAK compatible files.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MBH-975257
Department: Support IDV