[IDV #GYA-404192]: aggregatin nc files

Hi HP-

> No rain today (and yesterday) ... waiting now for Tuesday next week.

We had a nice downpour last night which has really cleared the air.

> > It should either be degrees or degrees_east.   Otherwise, it's
> > parsed as two units multiplied by each other and there is no
> > unit called "east".  You could use NcML to clean up those also,
> > just as you did for NO2.
> >
> Yes, but what would be the variable names I would have to attribute
> these names? BTW can you recommend a simple tool that would output the
> metadata part as text?

You could add:

<variable name="latitude">
<attribute name="units" value="degrees"/>
</variable>

<variable name="longitude">
<attribute name="units" value="degrees"/>
</variable>

> >> BTW I got it from the DLR people that nc is not an official format and
> >> they recommend to use the HD5 files. Unfortunately I still cannot ingest
> >> them. However, for the moment I can live with nc files wrapped into ncML.
> >>

> > Is that HDF5 or is HD5 a different format.  If the former, do you
> > have a sample?  John has been working on HDF5 reading and the
> > latest IDV should support some variations of HDF5 files.
> >
> Sorry about the missing F, it's HDF5 of course. 5 sample files go to my
> FTP server in this moment. It will take some 4 hours from now until
> everything is there. The samples cover all image-type products from
> Metop coded in HDF5. The prioritised list is MHSx_xxx_1B (level 1b,
> radiation fields, humidity)
> IASI_SND_02 (level 2, T/q soundings)
> GOME_xxx_1B (level 1b, radiation fields)
> AVHR_xxx_1B (AVHRR imagery)
> IASI _xxx_1C (level 1c, radiation fields)
> IASI 1C is already taken care of by Tom Rink in the Hydra section in
> McV. It would be awfully nice if at least MHS or the IASI soundings
> could be decoded by end of August (ready for my talk at the EUMETSAT
> Users' Conference :-)))))
>
> You may also refind the BUFR samples I uploaded some time ago.

Okay, I know John has been working on the BUFR stuff on the netCDF side.
We can't do anything on the IDV side until that is done.

I'll look into the HDF files. However, I wouldn't hold out hope for the
soundings by August 30.  That still requires some work on the netCDF side
before we can do the IDV access.

Don

Ticket ID: GYA-404192
Department: Support IDV