[IDV #XYD-146925]: drawing lines on map

> Description of problem: What is the best way to format data to draw lines on
> a map? Is there an IDV format plus display type combination that will allow a
> large set of lines to be drawn at one go? I have an ascii file of tectonic
> plate boundaries with  6,048 points grouped into 229 segments. There is also
> information about boundary type which might be used to control line character
> or some kind of symbol. Since this is a one-time project, some trouble would
> be possible to make this work.

Hi Stu,
The drawing editor can be used as a display for arbitrary shapes. It can read
an "xgrf" format. This format is not documented but it is  easy to create.
First, interactively create a drawing tool. Go draw some lines, etc. From the
control's file menu export the drawing to a .xgrf file.

This is a simple xml format that allows you to specify the coord system,
points, color etc. So you could just generate one of these files with your
data. Then load the file in as a data source. A non-interactive drawing control
will be created.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: XYD-146925
Department: Support IDV