[IDV #QRI-631387]: IDV looping problem

Hi Eric-

> Thanks for the response.
>
> Since I'm using the NCEP/NCAR grib data from UCAR, and since each time
> is a separate file, is there any way to merge the grib files into
> one?  I've searched for software that will merge grib files but cannot
> find any.  Or is there another way around this problem?

If you are on Unix (or from the Mac command line), you could just
use the 'cat' command:

cat *.grb > all.grb

However, that will not allow you to use the IDV's aggregation facility
as  I described below.  If there is a single file, it will not know to
aggregate the individual products and redo the time dimension.

Don Murray

Don

> > Hi Eric-
> >
> >> Full Name: Eric Kelsey
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 2.5 build date:2008-05-08 07:05 UTC
> >> Operating System: Mac OS X
> >> Hardware: Java: home: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
> >> Versions/1.5.0/Home version: 1.5.0_13 j3d:1.3.1
> >> Description of problem: I downloaded a month's worth of NCEP/NCAR
> >> Reanalysis data and untarred it.  There is one file for each 6-
> >> hourly time.  I want to be able to loop SLP with IDV for the whole
> >> month.  However, it seems that because each time is a separate file
> >> IDV won't loop them properly.  I have to load each time separately
> >> (another problem with 120 times) and then it just overlays each
> >> time ontop one another.  Pressing the "play" button doesn't do
> >> anything but show all selected fields on top of one another.  Do I
> >> need to merge the data files into one grib file?  Or is there
> >> another way around this?  Thank you.
> >
> > The problem is that each grib file has a different analysis time so
> > the
> > aggregation doesn't work in version 2.5.
> >
> > I just released a new nightly build which supports aggregating
> > multiple
> > NARR files into one dataset.  You can select the files in the Files
> > Chooser
> > and set the Data Source Type to Aggregate Grids by Time.  That will
> > load
> > in all the files as one cohesive unit.  You can then subset the
> > times/data
> > as usual.
> >
> > The nightly build should work, but we don't consider it production
> > code.
> > If you are daring and want to try it, let us know if you find
> > problems.
> >
> > Don Murray
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: QRI-631387