[IDV #SLG-471030]: Repeat Elevation Angles Remote Level II Radar Data

> Good Morning:
>
> Looking at PAH remote Level II data for this AM (see jpeg file). Displayed
> Base Reflectivity 0.5 degree elevation data. Left side first 0.5 degree
> elevation angle in field selector window for Reflectivity and right side
> second 0.5 degree elevation angle in field selector window for Reflectivity.
> More echo is showing in the first image. Not sure why different displays for
> the same elevation angle. The 2 instances of the 0.5 degree (also the 1.5
> degrees) elevation angle do not show up in the Radial Velocity and Spectrum
> Width field selector window.
>
> Current VCP for PAH was 21 ... From ...
>
> http://www.roc.noaa.gov/ops/vcp.asp
>

> Any help on this is appreciated.
>

> Greg ...

Greg,
       There are many formal explanation of the radar VCPs, you can browse on
the web to get the detail information. I can only give a brief summary here.
First, the VCP for each radar station  is changed according to the weather
condition. If the VCP for radar site PAH is 21, which means the precipitation
mode. For some parameters at some levels, a radar may run more than one sweep
according to the weather condition, such as two full sweeps at 0.5 for the
reflectivity and only one sweep for the doppler velocity, and may even collect
both parameters in the same sweep. And because of the difference in the time of
each sweep, the signal in the same elevation can be difference. The design of
each VCP is based on the requirements of meteorologist to analyze the structure
of the weather system.

Yuan

Ticket ID: SLG-471030
Department: Support IDV