[IDV #JRA-656742]: Does Tools UI read mcidas area files ?

Hi Peter-

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We had a mixup on how this got handled.

> Does Tools UI read mcidas area files ?

No.

> If so, what is the IOSP isValid method looking for to identify the file ?

We do not  yet have a fully functional IOSP for McIDAS AREA files.  Someone
at the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) started working on one a while
back, but it was never finished to our knowledge.  I'll ping them  to see
the status and availability of the code.

> Basically, I'm interested in the NetCDF co-ordinate systems Tools UI generates
> for the SEVIRI Mcidas files from EUMETSAT.  We have lines and pixels rather
> than lon and lat & I'm trying to create a NetCDF file that can be used with
> IDV
> to visualise the pixels in the file.

There is a McIDASAreaProjection class in ucar.unidata.geoloc.projection that
can be used for the transforms from line/ele to lat/lon.  Basically, it
uses the edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.AREAnav class from VisAD to do the transforms.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: JRA-656742
Department: Support IDV