[IDV #QQP-632804]: displaying IPV from model data

Hi Bill-

> Full Name: bill fingerhut
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Documents and Settings\waf01060\Program
> Files\IDV_2.5\jre version: 1.5.0_11 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: Creating display: Contour Plan View
> org.python.core.PyException
>
> I've encountered a little problem displaying IPV from model data.
>
> First I chose a dataset: Latest NCEP NAM CONUS 80 km
> from
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/model/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_80km/NAM_CONUS_80km_20080514_0000.grib1
> Then I entered the dataset properties, and chose one time - the first.
> Then from the menu: Data --> Latest NCEP NAM CONUS 80 km --> 3D grid -->
> Derived --> Isentropic Potential Vorticity --> Contour Plan --> Ok. And an
> error occurs.
>
> I have a bundle that works okay, so I was curious about the differences. It
> uses the
> method: DerivedGridFactory.createIPV (Temperature, Absolute_vorticity). So, I
> entered
> this call in: Data --> Formulas --> Grids --> Define a grid diagnostic, and
> it worked fine.
> So, the method seems okay; maybe there is a problem using the menu to call
> this
> method ?

The problem is that in the latest versions of the IDV, the default is to
select a particular level for plan vies, not the read the entire volume.
When you select the Isentropic Potential Vorticity, make sure the Level is
set to All Levels, or select a range of levels.  It would work automatically
for cross sections and isosurfaces because they use multiple levels (All by
default).

When you use the formula, the default is to use all levels, regardless of
the display.  We'll look into having formulas that need multiple levels
specify so in the XML so the user won't get caught by this.

Don
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> at visad.FlatField.derivative(FlatField.java:4044)
>
> at visad.FlatField.derivative(FlatField.java:4485)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.partial(DerivedGridFactory.java:2191)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.createIPV(DerivedGridFactory.java:1782)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.createIPV(DerivedGridFactory.java:1708)

> at
>
> at

> visad.VisADException: visad.VisADException: derivative: d_partial_s not in
> domain or reference

Ticket ID: QQP-632804
Department: Support IDV