[IDV #BGF-577478]: Re: 20080423: email about map disappearing during zooming bounced

Hi Doug-

> >> My basic question is this: when zooming in IDV, some of the datasets
> >> will disappear when you zoom past a certain point.  We want to be able
> >> to line up individual radar gates with the reflections from tall towers,
> >> in order to properly orientate mobile radars, so sometimes such an
> >> extreme zoom is useful.
> >>

> > Are you using a 2D or 3D display?
> >

> I don't know-- I am looking at 2d radar data and 3d text point data.  I
> have not explicitly set 2d or 3d, and I am not sure how to do that.  We
> are looking at the data from the top view, so it does appear 2d.

If you right click and move the mouse in the display, does it rotate
or pan?  If the former, you are in 3D, if the latter, in 2D.

> It hasn't been a concern for me, but Conrad has asked me if it is
> possible to turn off the 3d display, as he prefers to only look at the
> data from the overhead view?

You can use the Edit->Preferences menu to bring up the User Preferences
dialog and under the View tab, uncheck the Use 3D View and click
the OK button.  It won't change the existing Views, but any new View
Windows you open (File->New->View Window menu) will be 2D.  Also,
the next time you start the IDV, the default view will be 2D.

> > In either case, you end up zooming through the back clipping  plane.
> > The only way around this at present is to set your default map area
> > to a smaller region that covers your data.  when you get to the point
> > of going through the backplane, you can use the Projections->Use Displayed
> > Area
> > menu to reset the projection to the area in view.  That will allow
> > you to zoom further in.
> >

> That solution is working just fine, it generally isn't a problem, but
> depending on the data that is loaded sometimes Conrad can't get zoomed
> in as much as he'd like with out the data disappearing.  He wants to
> inspect individual gates.
>
> Thanks for your response, I am liking the IDV software very much and
> appreciate all of you guy's help in getting our data to display nicely.

Glad this is working for you.

Don

Ticket ID: BGF-577478
Department: Support IDV