[IDV #BGF-577478]: Re: 20080423: email about map disappearing during zooming bounced

Hi Doug-

> My basic question is this: when zooming in IDV, some of the datasets
> will disappear when you zoom past a certain point.  We want to be able
> to line up individual radar gates with the reflections from tall towers,
> in order to properly orientate mobile radars, so sometimes such an
> extreme zoom is useful.

Are you using a 2D or 3D display?

In either case, you end up zooming through the back clipping  plane.
The only way around this at present is to set your default map area
to a smaller region that covers your data.  when you get to the point
of going through the backplane, you can use the Projections->Use Displayed Area
menu to reset the projection to the area in view.  That will allow
you to zoom further in.

One of the things we need to investigate is resetting the back
clipping plane as you zoom, but that isn't high on our stack of things
to do at this point.

Don Murray

> The attachments can be found at
> ftp://ftp.nssl.noaa.gov/projects/ihop/idv.  "Before" shows the graphics
> before zooming.  "Radar gone" has been zoomed in one level, the radar
> data is gone but the roads and towers (text point data) can be seen.
> "All gone" is exactly that, I zoomed in one more level and all of the
> graphics are gone.
>
> Thanks!
> Doug
>

> Unidata Support wrote:
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > I just noticed that the email you sent to address@hidden
> > with:
> >
> > Subject: Radar, Map data disappearing when zooming
> >
> > a few days ago was bounced by our mail system because your attachment
> > was much larger than what is allowed by our system
> >
> >   "message size 31799290 exceeds size limit 10240000 of server
> >    support.unidata.ucar.edu[128.117.149.70]"
> >
> > Would it be possible for you to put the attachment on the web somewhere
> > and include its URL in a resend of your inquiry?
> >
> > Thanks in advance...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tom Yoksas

Ticket ID: BGF-577478