[IDV #WNR-458825]: Problem w/volume rendering

Hi Katie-

> Removing the Texture 3d worked. Do you know of a way to make this the default
> action (so idv automatically does this)?

Save the attached controls.xml to your disk.  Import this into the
IDV as a plugin.  Select the Tools->Plugin Manager menu.  From
the Plugin Manager, select the File->Install Plugin From File
and select the attached file.  Restart the IDV and then your
default Volume Rendering will not use the Texture 3D.

FYI, the attached file looks like:

<controls>
  <control
     id="volumerender"
     categories="GRID-3D-*"
     class="ucar.unidata.idv.control.VolumeRenderControl"
     description="3-D Volume Rendering"
     label="Volume Rendering"
     icon="/ucar/unidata/idv/images/volume.png"
     displaycategory="Volume Rendering"
     properties="displayName=Volume Rendering;useTexture3D=false">
    <property name="viewManagerClassNames"
value="ucar.unidata.idv.MapViewManager"/>
    </control>
</controls>

This  overrides the default setting by adding the useTexture3D=false
property.  If you wanted to have both available for testing, you
could change the id of this one to be "volumerenderernotexture".
You might want to change the label to something like "Volume Rendering (no
texture)" so they would have different names in the Displays list.

> Our graphics card is an NVIDIA QUADRO FX 5600 with 16 gigs of memory.

I wonder if there is a setting  on the graphics card that would
make the textures work.  The Texture 3D is much better (when
it works. ;-)).

> Thank you,

no problem.  Good luck!

Don Murray