[LDM #JZA-428953]: Server Setup

Hi,

re:
> We are
> currently setting up a server on our end for our X-Band radar. We were
> wanting to inquire more about the LDM and what it means to be apart of it.

The LDM is the software that moves products (collections of bytes) from
one machine to another.  I think you are referring to our Internet Data
Distribution (IDD) system that is used for distributing products from
source sites to end-user sites using the LDM.

re:
> Is the LDM the server most universities, MZZU and ULM, send their radar
> data to everyone?

Unfortunately, I don't think that any university is using the LDM to
disseminate their own radar data.  We would love to see the LDM used
like this, and we have setup mechanisms where we receive products from
sites and then relay them in the IDD.  Notable example of this are the
RGB immage products from GOES-East and GOES-West that are created by
CSU/CIRA (e.g., GeoColor, etc.) and GLM global composite images that
are being created by NOAA in AWS.  These distribution mechanisms have
been working very nicely for quite some time now, and they have been
well received by the IDD community.

re:
> We want to make our data the most public it can be. We
> just do not know how to do it. We currently are trying to either set up and
> FTP or HTTP site where our data will be stored.

What format is your radar data in?  If it is the same format as is being
used by the NWS for volume scan data from NEXRAD radars, then it would seem
like it would be a great addition to our NEXRAD2 (NEXRAD Level 2) feed.
If, on the other hand, the data is in a "non-standard" format, then it
may not necessarily be appropriate to include it in this feed (but it
could be made available in a different feed).

re:
> We don't have a good grasp on what the LDM does. Any information would be
> greatly appreciated!

Basically, the LDM provides to major uses:

- moving products from point to point

- doing something with products when they are received

The second use is optional as LDMs can be setup to simply relay products
without acting on them.

Please let us know about any other questions you may have, and we will
try to answer them in a way that relates to your objective(s).

Ticket ID: JZA-428953
Department: Support IDD