[IDD #BVD-174981]: RE: MRMS products

Hi Russ,

re:
> Thanks for the details.

No worries.

re:
> I was hoping for a MRMS national composite similar to the now defunct
> NEXRAD national composite. While the Hybrid composite is available I was
> interested in the MRMS version since it seems to be the choice on the
> NWS WSFO web pages.

I looked through a bunch of NWS web pages in an attempt to figure out what
radar product(s) were being used for the radar displays on, for example
weather.gov, but none of the pages I looked at actually said how the
composites are created, or what products were used to create them.  The
closest thing I could see was a reference to 'BREF', but that seems like
an awfully generic name.  My guess is that they are creating a composite
from the Level 3 N0Q products that are distributed in NOAAPort.  I say
this because of the following "explanations" for what the N0R product
was and what the N0Q product is:

N0R, SHORT RANGE BASE REFLECTIVITY (16 LEVEL / 230 KM) (~ 0.5 DEG), 19
N0Q, LONG RANGE BASE REFLECTIVITY (256 LEVEL / 460 KM) (~ 0.5 DEG), 94

As far as what MRMS product may be closest to what you are looking for,
I think that the BaseReflectivity product with CONUS coverage may
match your desire.  We are not (currently) creating an N0Q national
composite since we thought that the DHR national composite was "better".
Some of the small number of comments we have received about the addition
of the MRMS products to the IDD FNEXRAD feed suggest that some of our
users would be interested in us generating an N0Q product.  I will have
to consider this carefully as the process that creates all of the NEXRAD
Level III products is a GEMPAK routine, and we have little to no GEMPAK
expertise in-house since the tragic loss of our GEMPAK guru and developer
at the end of July, 2019.

Ticket ID: BVD-174981
Department: Support IDD