[Support #QEW-316642]: log rotate

Hi Gyorgi,

re:
> I have noticed something with all of my ldm servers lately.
>
> I rotate the logs from crontab like this:
>
> `find /home/ldm/var/logs | egrep -e '*\.log$'`; do /home/ldm/bin/newlog $i
> 3 ; done > /dev/null 2>&1

You are doing way too much work to rotate your log files.  The LDM
utility 'newlog' is designed to only need to know which log file to
rotate plus how many it should keep, and it does the rest.

For example, here is the crontab entry we use to rotate the LDM log
file (from a machine randomly chosen from all of the machines we
run an LDM on):

#
# Rotate LDM log file
#
0 0 * * 5 bin/ldmadmin newlog

This will rotate the LDM log file at 00:00 UTC (the local clock is in UTC)
on Fridays.  If you wanted to rotate the LDM log file once-per-day, the
entry would look like:

#
# Rotate LDM log file
#
0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin newlog

re:
> The newlog script among other things checks if ldmd.log is empty and if it
> is not then it renames it to ldmd.1 with the 'mv' command and creates a new
> empty
> ldmd.log.

Correct.

re:
> After this ldmd keeps logging into ldmdbeatutifully.log.1, and so the new
> ldmd.log
> stays empty, and logrotate never happens after.

This is probably telling us that the appropriate signal is not being
sent/sent correctly to the lead LDM server, 'ldmd'.  Can you remind me
of your OS version, the version of the LDM you are running, etc.?  Better
yet, would it be possible for me to login to your machine and investiate
and tweak settings?

re:
> Does ldmd do this only for me?

Well, we can't speak for everyone, but the problem is not being
experienced here in the UPC.

Ticket ID: QEW-316642
Department: Support IDD