[IDD #EXA-585333]: In search of GOES-17 L2 Products

Hi Bob,

re:
> I have a data user who is requesting our acquisition of various GOES-17
> Level2 Products, including the ACMC (CONUS Clear Sky Mask) product.
>
> I'd hoped to pull them in with our NOAAPORT receiver, but have not had any
> success in finding the WMO headers for the products, akin to the IXTxxx
> messages for GOES-16. I have not found an NWS admin message with the IDs,
> so perhaps they are just not available yet.

Only GOES-16 Level 2 products are being distributed in NOAAPort.  On top of
that, we were informed by Scott Jacobs that some, but perhaps not all, of
the GOES-16 L2 products may be removed from NOAAPort.  The reason for
evaluating this way of distributing the products was twofold:

- there is no available bandwidth in NOAAPort to send products that the
  NWS considers to be required for the forecast offices

  The GOES-16 L2 products were never intended to be distributed in
  NOAAPort, but they were added to promote their use.

- as far as GOES-17 L2 products goes, the generation of those is
  affected by the heat pipe problem onboard the spacecraft

re:
> I've also struck out on the IDD LDM feed, where again I can find "ABI-L2-ACMC"
> for GOES16, but not GOES17.

Correct.  We are distributing all of the L2 products that are distributed in
NOAAPort and the value-added GLM products being created by Eric Bruning
at Texas Tech.  All of the L2 products that we are distributing are available
in the IDD NIMAGE feed.

re:
> Files are available on AWS and Google cloud
> sites, and I'm guessing they are on the NESDIS PDA, as well, but those
> options have more challenges for us than either using our NOAAPORT system
> or the IDD LDM feed.

During discussions with Scott, I make a case that we (Unidata) need a way
to get access to all of the L2 products so that we can distribute them
in the IDD for our users.  He commented that something will be put into
place before the GOES-16 L2 products are removed from NOAAPort.

re:
> So, assuming they exist, would you have any hints on finding the full set
> of GOES-17 L2 products either on the SBN or IDD.

Unfortunately, they are not available.  I was eager to include those in
our IDD NIMAGE feed, but, since they are not available in NOAAPort, we
have not been able to add them.

re:
> Alternatively, would you
> have any info on when they might become available? I'm usually pretty
> tapped in to such things, but can't seem to find any useful information.

I am hopeful that those that decide what should and should not be included
in NOAAPort will decide to not remove the GOES-16 L2 products.  I think,
however, that them adding the GOES-17 L2 products into an already full
broadcast is too much to hope for.  If/when a good way of getting access
to the products in near real-time is created, we will be jumping on
adding them to the IDD.

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.  I really do wish that I had better news for you!

Ticket ID: EXA-585333
Department: Support IDD