[IDD #SET-184160]: GOES-W AREA Files

Hi Jim,

re: was WXP able to display both of the AREA file images?

> Yes, WXP handled both AREAS and coverage is good for our purposes.

Very good!

re:
> Is the IMGREMAP a process I could run to generate them locally?

Absolutely yes.

re:
> For most of those purposes, I think the 4-km data are sufficient for the
> remaining WXP
> apps. We were using GINI 1-km vis data, when it was available, but stopped
> being able to
> them when GINI data ceased.

OK, sound good.

re:
> When I downloaded the full disk files from SSEC, I get a different file size
> than I see
> when ingesting real-time data:
>
> e.g. downloaded IR file size: ~7355872
> real-time IR file size varies around: ~2960000 to ~3005000

You should.  The files delivered in the IDD have had their image portions (as
opposed
to the header portions) PNG compressed.  Support for use of those files directly
was added to Unidata McIDAS-X, Unidata GEMPAK, the IDV, McIDAS-V and even
Unidata
AWIPS.

The images you can download from the Unidata-Wisconsin archive have had the
PNG compressed image portions uncompressed, and the result is a vanilla
AREA file.  We did this so that folks that are using non-Unidata apps that
understand AREA file format can use the images directly.

re:
> but I can now view them with McIDAS, where before I think I had a typo in
> saved filename.

Very good.

re:
> So, I think I'm good to go on retrieving and using the archive data.

Excellent!

re:
> Another question: i  haven't really been able to look at the regional
> GOES-16/17 data,
> but is there a reference for the regional area nomenclature?

Regional data?  If you mean the Mesoscale sectors, then their only difference is
their coverage is not fixed in time since Weather Service offices can request
they be moved to different locations to more closely monitor localized weather
conditions.

Again, the only ABI images in the revamped UNIWISC feed are all coverages
(CONUS, FullDisk, Mesoscale-1 and Mesoscale-2) for 3 wavelength channels:
0.64um VIS, 6.2um WV and 10.3um IR.

re:
> I see where many regional
> files are available, but I haven't been able to "google" a table indicating
> what name
> goes to what area. I'm especially interested in what header I would key into
> for an LDM
> ingest of a particular mesoscale file.

The product code portion of the Product IDs for Mesoscale images begin with
either M1 or M2.  Here are some example Product IDs that show bothMesoscale-2
images:

             pcode
pnga2area Q8 M2C02 1339 GOES-17_IMG 0.64um 0.5km 20200330 201655
pnga2area Q8 M2C08 1345 GOES-17_IMG 6.2um 2.0km 20200330 201655
pnga2area Q8 M2C13 1250 GOES-16_IMG 10.3um 2.0km 20200330 201655
pnga2area Q8 M2C08 1245 GOES-16_IMG 6.2um 2.0km 20200330 201655
pnga2area Q8 M2C13 1350 GOES-17_IMG 10.3um 2.0km 20200330 201655
pnga2area Q8 M2C02 1239 GOES-16_IMG 0.64um 0.5km 20200330 201655

The encoding of the 'pcode' values is:

(CN|FD|M1|M2) - coverage: CONUS, FullDisk, Mesoscale-1, Mesoscale-2
Cnn           - wavenlength channel, where nn = 01..16

So, if you wanted the Channel 02 (0.64um VIS) Mesoscale-1 images, your
LDM pattern-action file action would contain 'M1C02'.

If you wanted all Mesoscale-1 Channel 02 (0.64um VIS), Channel 08 (6.2um WV)
and Channel 13 (10.3um IR) images from GOES-16, your pattern-action
file action would contain:

M1C(02|08|13).*GOES-16

If you wanted these three channels for both GOES-16 and GOES-17, you would
leave off the '.*GOES-16' piece (unless you want to use it in your output
file name).

Ticket ID: SET-184160
Department: Support IDD