[IDD #SET-184160]: GOES-W AREA Files

Hi Jim,

re:
> Thanks. I'll give this a try with WXP this afternoon.

Very good.

re:
> I've actually switched over a few McIDAS scripts to use the new Full Disk
> satellite data
> and switched a few others to use McIDAS instead of WXP.

Excellent!

re:
> Check out:
>
> https://vortex.plymouth.edu/myo/sat/mcidas-newsat.html

OK, I put up a GOES-East (16) FullDisk thermal IR display from the website.

re:
> I've also been trying to fill in some holes with our hourly satellite image
> archive for
> GOES-W and I've been successful in downloading missed hourly Full Disk
> GOES-17 IR files
> from the SSEC neartime archive, such as, "202003020000.goes17FullDiskBand13".

Sounds good.

re:
> However, I'm not sure how I run take this file and run it through LDM with
> "pqing" to get
> the data put in the same format and location as I get from the pqact.conf
> entries as
> follows:
>
> # GOES-West Full Disk 10.3 um Thermal IR
> # pnga2area Q5 FDC13 1335 GOES-16_IMG 10.3um 4.0km 20180420 191543
> # pnga2area Q5 FDC13 1348 GOES-17_IMG 10.3um 4.0km 20200330 182032
> UNIWISC ^pnga2area Q. (FDC13) (.*) GOES-17_IMG (.*)um (.*) (..)(......)
> (....)(..)
> FILE    -close
> /sdata/sat_goesWn/\6\7.sir
> #

A couple of comments:

The images are in McIDAS AREA format, so there is no need to do any other
processing on them.  If all you are using "running through the LDM" for is
file naming, this could be done without using the LDM.  The image's date
and time is encoded into the names of the files available in the
Unidata-Wisconsin IDD archives that are available on the machine
idd.ssec.wisc.edu (aka adde.ssec.wisc.edu).  You could write a script
that parsed the name of the archived images and then create the name
you want in the directory you want.

You would not use 'pqing' to put a product like an image in AREA file
format into the LDM queue.  Instead, you would use the LDM utility 'pqinsert'.
I really don't think you need to go through the LDM since you would have
to synthesize the Product ID to be used, and this is just as "hard" as
parsing the archive file names to extract the pieces of information you
want.

re:
> I have always used the pqing process for example, missing ddplus data, after
> downloading
> archived .nwstg files and I'd like to do the same with McIDAS data to fill in
> gaps.

Yes, 'pqing' is for textual WMO products.  The Unidata-Wisconsin images are
much different.

re:
> At my home in Florida, I really don't think that I have the capability to see
> many of the
> McIDAS-X features that you described, but I'll investigate further in the
> future.

If you do a single true color composite (like in the example I sent
previously), you
should have no problems.  I do this routinely from home, and my network
connection
is anything but spectacular (I routinely get 7 Mbps or less download and
sometimes
as low as 1-2 Mbps down).

I guess the question now is if I should put more development on hold while you
experiment with replacing WXP displays with McIDAS displays on the Plymouth
web site.  Please let me know!

Ticket ID: SET-184160
Department: Support IDD