[IDD #SET-184160]: GOES-W AREA Files

Hi Jim,

re:
> After I consult with Ted and Dan and get their concurrence, I think I'll give
> the
> installation a try.

Very good.  The build/install process is not hard.

re:
> Unidata still had my account online, but I had forgotten my
> password. After I got that squared away and was logged in, I tried to go to
> the McIDAS
> download page, but got the "forbidden" message.

I will alert our web developer to the problem.

re:
> I was just trying to see how involved the installation would be.

It is not hard ** assuming that your existing installation was done
following the recommendations in the McIDAS-X User's Guide portion
of the Unidata website.

Here is an ABC for doing an installation in an existing 'mcidas'
account:

0) rename the unpack script for your existing distribution

   <as 'mcidas'>
   cd ~mcidas
   mv mcunpack mcunpack.2009

1) download the latest Unidata McIDAS-X distribution to the HOME
   directory of the user 'mcidas'

   Like I said above, I will send your inability to download the
   package to our web developer.

   The tree files that you need to download are:

   mcunpack
   mcinst2019.sh
   mcidasx2019.tar.gz

2) make sure that the needed environment variable McINST_ROOT has
   been defined

   This should have been given your existing McIDAS-X installation,
   but if it does not exist, define it:

   <as 'mcidas'>
   export McINST_ROOT=$HOME

3) unpack the distribution

   <as 'mcidas'>
   chmod +x mcunpack
   ./mcunpack

4) build the distribution

   <as 'mcidas'>
   cd mcidas2019/src

   make

   OR

   make all

   OR

   make all xrd

   The first 'make' invocation will build McIDAS-X alone.
   The second 'make' invocation will build McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD.
   The third 'make' invocation will build McIDAS-X, McIDAS-XCD and McIDAS-XRD.

   If you do not run McIDAS-X decoders on data received by the LDM/IDD,
   you would probably select the first option.

5) if the build continues to completion with no errors (an error
   will stop the build), do the following:

   <as 'mcidas'>
   cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
   make uninstall.all

   cd ~/mcidas2019/src

   make install

   OR

   make install.all

   OR

   make install.all install.xrd

   See above for the meaning of the three options.

6) assuming that the environment for 'mcidas' is properly
   setup, you should be good to go

   If you have not setup the 'mcidas' environment, I will need
   to understand how you are currently setup before I can guide
   you to the easiest way to proceed.

Comment and question:

I have the Unidata McIDAS-X v2019a release just about ready to post
as a replacement for the v2019 that is currently available.

I could setup anonymous FTP download for the v2019a distribution if
you are game to use it instead of v2019.  There should be NO downside
to doing this, so I have no hesitation in you trying it.  Please let
me know if you want to go this route, as I need time to move the
needed files (see 1) above) to the mcidas section of our anonymous
FTP server, and I have to know that you will download the the files
shortly after I post them... given our licensing with UW/SSEC for
McIDAS, I can not leave the files on anonymous FTP for very long.
The other possibility is I can FTP the files to you if you have
an FTP site that I can upload to.

Ticket ID: SET-184160
Department: Support IDD