[IDD #SET-184160]: GOES-W AREA Files

Hi Jim,

re:
> I'm not sure why my reply was bounced by the Unidata e-mail server, so I'm
> trying again.

Well, I can say for sure that we did not receive your first reply attempt...

re:
> Thank you for the information. I am primarily interested in the CONUS/PACUS
> coverage and
> not the full disk.

OK, this is good to know.

re:
> I believe that area covered Alaska and Hawaii--is that correct?

Hawaii is in view in the GOES-17 PACUS coverage; Alaska is not.
The NWS is creating Alaska and Hawaii coverages from FullDisk
scans and sending them in the NOAAPort SBN.

By the way, all of the images available in the NIMAGE, SATELLITE
and UNIWISC datastreams are available by ADDE serves that we operate.
The ADDE datasets that contain these images, and the servers on
which the datasets are available are as follows:

RTGOESR  - full resolution GRB-delivered GOES-East (16) imagery -
lead.unidata.ucar.edu,
                                                                  adde.ucar.edu
(aka atm.ucar.edu)
RTGOESS  - full resolution GRB-delivered GOES-West (17) imagery -
lead.unidata.ucar.edu
                                                                  adde.ucar.edu
(aka atm.ucar.edu)
NPGOESR  - reconstituted GOES-East (16) imagery from NOAAPort   -
lead.unidata.ucar.edu,
                                                                  adde.ucar.edu
(aka atm.ucar.edu)
NPGOESS  - reconstituted GOES-West (17) imagery from NOAAPort   -
lead.unidata.ucar.edu,
                                                                  adde.ucar.edu
(aka atm.ucar.edu)
RTIMAGES - select channels for all coverages in AREA format     -
lead.unidata.ucar.edu,
                                                                  adde.ucar.edu
(aka atm.ucar.edu)

adde.ssec.wisc.edu

In McIDAS, you can use the 'DSINFO IMAGE' command to see the list
of datasets in each ADDE group:

<in a McIDAS session>
DATALOC ADD RTGOESR lead.unidata.ucar.edu
DSINFO IMAGE RTGOESR

etc.

re:
> The
> main reason that I'm interested is that for following tropical system in
> real-time for
> Atlantic, E. Pacific, and some C. Pacific and generating historical archived
> imagery for
> them, I actually use McIDAS for most of the rendering and then I reformat the
> image, so
> that it looks more like a WXP-rendered image, which can be interpreted more
> easily by a
> non-meteorologist user. We do still have some WXP-based applications that
> also use these
> AREA file data.

OK.

re:
>> By old AREA formats, I believe that I am meaning using the projection(s) of
>> the
>> GOES-13/15 GVAR platforms.

> Yes, I will be interested in your script. I'm not sure if all AREA file
> numbers for the
> CONUS/PACUS data are the same used for all sites, but for us it has been
> AREA013? for
> GW-IR, AREA012? for the GW-VIS and and AREA017? for GW-WV. Similarly, the
> McIDAS AREA
> files primarily used for our GOES-E tropical applications are AREA015? for
> GE-IR,
> AREA014? for GE-VIS, and AREA021? for GE-WV, which we currently get over the
> IDD and if
> discontinued, we'd like to get to also get them with the script.  I actually
> copy these
> images as they arrive into files with yymmddhhMM filenames, which I store for
> about 2
> weeks. These are the files that I'd like a script to generate.

OK.  Thanks for fully explaining exactly what you are after!

Can you give me a URL for a site where I can see the set of coverages you
want to create?  It will help me in describing or developing a script that
will do what you want.

Ticket ID: SET-184160
Department: Support IDD