[IDD #SET-184160]: GOES-W AREA Files

Hi Jim,

re:
> If you go to that page and then click on one of the links that gives the
> pqact.conf
> example and then scroll up the page (https://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> /data/rtimages_pqact.html), you will see the RTIMAGE blocks for GOES-E and
> GOES0W AREA
> files. Perhaps, those items need to be deleted from that page to avoid the
> confusion I
> had.

Hmm... I never thought that people would scroll to different areas in the
example
pattern-action file after clicking on the link for the pattern or the product
being investigated.  I have just updated the page to indicate which actions
are now considered to be archaic.

re:
> When I copied the pqact.conf block to the e-mail, the tabs messed things up
> and I had to
> reformat the entries and its probably where I made the typo. I am receiving
> the combined
> type files.

OK, that makes sense.

re:
> Even when I add an item to pqact.conf that the page says get new GOES-17
> data, I also get
> the new format GOES-16 data, which is okay with me.

The actions listed in the example pattern-action file were written to work
or both GOES-16 and -17 images.  I figured that if someone did not want, for
instance, the GOES-17 images, then it would be best to not REQUEST them in
their LDM configuration files as doing things this way would save network
bandwidth.

re:
> I've made your suggested changes to the ldmd.conf file.

Excellent!

re:
> Is there any possibility you could provide your mcidas-x methodology that you
> use to
> convert files that can be used in the old AREA file formats?

Certainly.  In a nutshell, what I do is:

- have AREA files of GOES-13 images for the channels that I want to
  use as remap (IMGREMAP) targets

- make a copy of the copies of the targets using IMGCOPY

- remap (IMGREMAP) the desired channel into the target created by
  the IMGCOPY

- use IMGCHA to fix-up some of the values in the remapped image
  so that things like date and time are correct

  I do _not_ change the indicated wavelength channel since that would
  likely cause problems with software that does not understand the
  GOES-R/S channels, etc.

The reason for doing this this way was to create images that I knew
would work straightaway in GEMPAK, and for which the LDM/IDD Product
IDs would not change (so that end users would not be forced into
having to change their pattern-action file actions).  I flipped the
switch on this the morning of the annual AMS meeting the day that
GOES-13 (which had been GOES-East) was decommissioned.

re:
> This is our current version of LDM: LDM version:           6.13.3

OK, thanks.  While this version is not "old", it is certainly not
current.  If you get a chance, it would be good to upgrade to the
latest full LDM release, v6.13.11, or wait and upgrade after the
next LDM release is made (which should be sometime this spring).

Ticket ID: SET-184160
Department: Support IDD